Sunday, July 5, 2015

Tian Tan Buddha; One day in Hong Kong

If you can have a longer stay in Hong Kong, please do! But for all of us that had a day layover at the airport… HK is truly one of the best places to manage to have a quick visit and take much more than you can imagine!





HK has the best connections from the airport to the center and then pretty easy to move around everywhere you want to go.

I´ve read everywhere that there is always a long line, since really early in the morning to visit de Big Buddha, so I took the S1 bus from the airport (really easy signs ones you get out to go to the bus station), paid about 4 HKD and went straight to the Tung Chung bus terminal, just in front of the cable car to Ngong Ping (where Big Buddha is.)

Once at the cable car, famously known as Ngong Ping 360, you can decide to pay for return ticket in a normal cable car or one with a crystal floor so you can see the mountains under you on your way to Big Buddha. I took the ticket that has 1 way normal cable car and 1 way the crystal floor, paid 230 HKD. Truly, the crystal floor is not all that, and I could have saved myself some money because the normal return ticket is 165 HKD, but I´ll know for next time!

The views going up to Bid Buddha are truly amazing, when you leave the city and building behind and start getting into the wild.

Once at the top, you first pass the Ngong Ping Village, full of souvenir shops, cafes, and even a Starbucks.
I´ve read about this village and how it takes all of the "peace and vibes" of the place. And yes, I agree but the peace and whatever vibes you want to have, you will make them, not the place you are in. There will be tourist that want to sit down in a cafe while their friends go up to see Big Buddha and there will be monks that go straight to do their Buddhist chants to the monument, forgetting they even passed a small village for tourist. And that´s what I basically did, forgot about it and went straight to Big Buddha. 

              




      







I´m more than thankful for the opportunity I had to spend a day in HK and being able to visit this gorgeous monument. I´m definitely recommend it as a must see while in HK.




Iris 







No comments:

Post a Comment